Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Kindness of Strangers

So I'm a little bit embarassed about this, but I've noticed lately that people have a lot of compassion.

Like one day a few months ago when I met a friend at our farmers market to chat. My kids were with me, but I didn't have any money for them to buy any of the goodies. They wandered around a little and came back with free loaves of bread from one of the vendors! I felt a little like Fagin, but I have to admit, the bread was delicious.

Or the day last week when I bought ordered a bagel and a cup of coffee only to discover that I didn't have enough money. I told the counter clerk to just give me the bagel (she hadn't poured the coffee yet.) After she rang me up, she gave me a cup of coffee. I looked up quizzically, and she smiled and said, "It's on me."

Or today when during a day of errands I realized the kids were hungry, so my kids each ordered their own sandwich and donut at Dunkin' Donuts. The counter staff thought they were so cute, they threw in two extra donuts.

I don't think it's that they are looking undernourished or anything...

Anyway, thanks, guys. You don't know how much these little things can really make a person's day when she is struggling.

No comments: