Sunday, January 24, 2010

Peer support for financial problems

My church is in the process of forming covenant groups for the year. And they're trying to get people interested in a new type of group, a Commonweal Group. This group weaves together mutual help, education, and social action--all around financial topics.

So far, from what I understand, few people have signed up to participate. Maybe it's because in our affluent community it isn't cool to be struggling, though many have been affected by layoffs. Maybe it's because people are focusing inward and don't have the time and energy to meet and share. Maybe it's because it's a new idea and people don't understand it.

I've been asked to lead a group. I probably won't because I already suffer from overcommititis. And I'm not doing a very good job handling my exisiting volunteer commitments.

But I'm kind of torn about it. Because I think it's a great idea. Maybe you'd be interested. The Common Security Club website has a lot of material for how to get a group started in your own community, including sample meeting plans. Worth a look. www.commonsecurityclub.org.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: