Saturday, October 4, 2008

Did Fannie and Freddie's Demise Help Me?

Welcome Carnival Goers.

This post has been included in The Carnival of Debt Reduction and in Political Calculations On the Moneyed Midways, best posts from the past week's business and money-related blog carnivals.

I find myself wondering if my loan is owned by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac. Apparently there's a 50-50 chance that it is. It is notoriously difficult to discover who owns your loan, according to ABC News's Betsy Stark, due in part to the complex mortgage-backed securities that have brought the economy crashing down around us.

I find the timing curious. After months of relentless collection calls (like a couple a day) from our mortgage company, and their inability to acknowledge our third-party request for a loan modification , all of a sudden, with no warning, we got a loan mod out of the blue. And it was after the federal goverment took over the mortgage giants. The company didn't ask us to verify our income or anything. Curiouser and curiouser.

Mortgage News Daily speculated after the takeover that since the government doesn't want to own thousands of homes, homeowners already in danger of foreclosure may actually fare better under the bailout. It's probably too soon to tell.

This thing is huge, isn't it? And I have to say that it actually makes me feel better to know that we are not alone in this, that we aren't just irresponsible, that there's something larger at work here. Or so I tell myself. Sometimes.




Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: