Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Other Side of the Equation--Reducing Debt by Increasing Income


My best friend's dad used to say, "You have to have a horse to get a horse." Well, somebody offered me a new horse Friday.

I already have a job. I've only been there for six months. I like the work, I like the people. I like the owner. I like my boss. Sure, there are politics and frustrations. But where are there not? Really, what's not to like?

The money, that's what. The truth is I am not making enough money at this job to deal with the aftershocks of our financial hard times. In fact, I was making less than I did 10 years ago.

Still, I wasn't looking for a job. I work in a small industry. Everybody knows EVERYBODY.

But a friend of mine left her position, where I have long dreamed of working. They were a former client.

I put off calling the head of the organization for a week or so after I found out she was gone. I couldn't imagine how I would tell my current boss I was leaving.

But then I got it together. I want this job. The cliches clicked. Opportunities like this don't come up every day. My family is depending on me.

So, I interviewed. The recruiter asked me why I was looking for a job after such a short time. I told the truth. I'm not, but I just couldn't pass this by.

And I got an offer. It's a great offer. More money. A really generous 401K match. 100% paid family dental coverage and 90% paid family medical coverage. Option to work at home several days a week. A shorter commute. Shorter working hours. Did I mention a really generous 401K match?

I'm still working out the details, but I'm going to take it. And I'm going to have to tell my manager, his manager, and the owner of my company that I'm leaving.

I want to be honest and say, I'd love to stay here, but I'm financially desperate, and I just can't. But I won't. I'll give them platitudes. I'll thank them for the opportunity. I'll tell them how much I enjoyed working there. I'll ask them to keep in touch. The platitudes, in this case, have the advantage of being true.

And they'll be bitter, angry, in denial, bargain, and eventually accept it. They'll blame effing Polly Poorhouse for everything that goes wrong after I leave.

Change is stressful. Change is necessary. Change is good. Yay.

Polly's Pointers:

* Always be looking for your next job.

* It's not personal, it's business.

* Value yourself, and others will value you as well.

* Be authentic.

Photo by Christina Matheson

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: